10 December 2007

Holiday song thinger: 7, 8, 9, and 10 December

Sorry to all three of you that read this on any sort of regular basis- I haven't been keeping up with this project so well because my new job has kind of started eating my life. Om nom nom. Yay for working retail during the holiday season!

I do owe you at least three holiday-esque songs, yes? I do. I was at a friend's house recently and realised why all those friends of mine don't like Christmas music- a lot of it is really lame and sappy. So, in attempting to avoid the "lame and sappy" vein, I think today's theme will be "amusing Christmas songs," because, why not?

I heard "The 12 Pains of Christmas" for the first time at a friends' house when I was about 12. Maybe 11. I was still living in Manville, in any case, and I moved out of there when I was almost 13. At the time, I had no fucking clue what a "hangover" was, and I went home yelling things like, "NOW WHY THE HECK ARE THEY BLINKING?!?!" (Because I was 11 and couldn't say "hell.") ANYWAY. I've had a soft spot for this song ever since.

Bob Rivers Comedy Corp - The 12 Pains of Christmas

My mom's favourite Christmas song, and one of mine, is "Santa Baby," but only the Eartha Kitt version, because La Kitt is pretty much amazing. And it's perfect for our ridiculously expensive tastes. Hey, I can't help it if I was brought up with Veuve Cliquot in the house. Like mother, like daughter.

Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby

I downloaded Holly Golightly's "The Christmas Tree's On Fire" from Brooklyn Vegan's 2007 Holiday Mix. Maybe it's really an after-holiday song, since it's set in February. But it's a laugh, I promise you.

Holly Golightly - The Christmas Tree's On Fire

Um. So I don't really know if this last song is really a Christmas song, nor is it particularly amusing, but I've already given you "Christmas Wrapping" and "Christmas Number One," and besides, I like the title's play on X-mas. Also, I've been posting about The Lashes a bunch, so...here ya' go.

The Lashes - Ex-Mas (Young In Love)

No comments:

Post a Comment